Even in landscaping, there can be too much of a good thing. Every plant needs sunlight and liquid to thrive, but overwatered commercial lawns can lead to stressed roots, weeds, disease, and insect invaders.
Watch out for these 5 signs of overwatering, and take steps to correct them.
- Depressions: We completely understand a property owner’s desire to leave his or her mark on the industry, but if your foot is leaving a soggy, mushy, or matted imprint when you walk across your lawn, you’ve been going a bit too heavy on the H2O.
- Wilting: Droopy, lifeless plants are typically associated with extreme thirst. But overwatering can cause similar symptoms. Keep an eye out for signs of overwatering such as leaves and lawns that appear dull and faded, in addition to grass that does not spring back into shape after being pressed down.
- Fungus: Mushrooms, algae, blight, mold, and patch thrive in excessive moisture. If these conditions are encroaching upon your lawn and flower gardens, rein in your watering schedule.
- Root rot: Also a fungal disease, root rot is a common ailment causing browning and yellowing grasses and leaves, accompanied by gray, brown, or even slimy roots.
- Runoff: Excess water flow to the parking lot or street is a surefire sign that your lawn is oversaturated.
The following suggestions can help you keep your commercial landscape healthy:
- Always check the ground moisture before watering your property’s lawn. Soil should be damp 6-12” below the surface.
- Adjust your watering schedule – experts suggest the best time to water is between 4 a.m. and 8 a.m. in the morning.
- Do not water lawns at night. Lack of evaporation in the nighttime hours can lead to root rot.
- Do not water lawns when it rains. Irrigation specialists can install a rain sensor for your automatic systems that detect moisture and prevent overwatering.
Eos Outdoor Services can help you implement these tips, in addition to any of your irrigation needs. We provide routine inspections, repairs, and more, allowing you to concentrate exclusively on managing your property. Additionally, our professionally installed irrigation systems deliver water to those areas of your landscape that need it most, at the right time, keeping your grass green and your guests impressed. Call us today to find out more.